Friday, March 21, 2008

The Prince of Orange Lauds World Water Day 2008 in Geneva

As the Prince of Orange attended World Water Day 2008 in Geneva yesterday, he repeated his message of concern regarding the billions of people lacking adequate water and sanitation. Describing himself as a traveling minstrel without the singing skill, the prince said, “sometimes I feel like a travelling minstrel, singing the same song again and again. Luckily for you I decided not to become one. To my regret, I found out when I was very young that I don’t have a great voice.”

“So don’t worry, I’ll not be singing for you today.”

“But, ladies and gentlemen, I DO have the words and I DO feel the need to tell my story. Because repetition breeds recognition, and recognition is what we need to make people act. And that’s why we have to tell our story again and again. The story is not about me, it is about 2.6 billion poor and vulnerable people who lack adequate sanitation. It is on their behalf we have to get the world moving.”

“That is why we are here today in Geneva to celebrate World Water Day 2008. I hope it will not be long before I can change my tune and we can sing another, more cheerful song about sanitation.”

“World Water Day is a special day, because we are drawing the world’s attention to the problems of water and sanitation.”


The prince challenged the audience to stay focused on the goal to provide “sanitation for all” and said, “let us end this injustice and let us join forces, because ‘Sanitation for all’ also implies ‘All for sanitation’.”

“Improved sanitation is achievable. Let’s make it reality and than we can write a real sanitation song.”

“I promise that I won’t join in the singing .... But I definitely will keep supporting and motivating you all and the rest of the world to take action for sanitation. I hope we’ll soon be singing a happier song!”


The full text of Prince Willem-Alexander’s speech in Geneva in honour of World Water Day 2008 can be read here.

Photo: REUTERS/Denis Balibouse